Happy almost holidays! According to recent research, sleep is at the top of people’s holiday wish lists. This fact is in-line with findings from the National Retail Federation’s 2009 Holiday Consumer Intentions and Actions Survey, which revealed 35 percent of Americans plan to buy more practical gifts this holiday season. And, what more practical gift is there than SLEEP?!
So, to help you pick sleep-related gifts people will get excited about, consider the below great tips from our sleep experts at Select Comfort:
SLEEP GIFT-GIVING TIPS
•Customization is king. Customizable products take the guess work out of a gift and let a person select exactly what they want. Nearly one out of four consumers (23 percent) surveyed would like to receive a customized comforter this holiday season and 22 percent would like to receive a customized pillow.
- The SLEEP NUMBER® Create Your Perfect Comforter makes a great gift because it can be customized on each side for individual fill preferences and is available in down or down alternative, starting at $169.99.
- A customizable bed pillow is just as important as the right mattress for proper spinal alignment. Plus, a customizable bed pillow makes an excellent gift since many people struggle to find the ideal pillow. The SLEEP NUMBER® Create Your Perfect Pillow lets someone build their perfect pillow in three simple steps; the SLEEP NUMBER® Custom Classic memory foam pillow comes with three inserts for desired neck support; and the SLEEP NUMBER® Custom Contour memory foam pillow comes with three different layers to achieve the perfect pillow height.
•Consider the value of an item before purchasing. How long will the gift last? Is there an exchange policy or warranty? Higher-quality bedding accessories may cost a little more up front but the payoff is that the recipient will enjoy them a lot longer than less expensive, lower-quality items.
•Buy products that provide solutions. Does someone you know sleep too hot, too cold, have allergies, struggle with back-pain, is uncomfortable sleeping while pregnant, can’t get comfortable in the same bed as their partner, only wants natural products, etc.? If you don’t know – ask. Everyone has a sleep story. There are a variety of Sleep Number products, designed to solve problems, with gift ideas starting at $19.99. Visit sleepnumber.com to read more about these and other products, including:
- Temperature-balancing sheets, blankets or pillow protectors from the SLEEP NUMBER® In Balance™ line
- Naturally antimicrobial, anti-odor, anti-static and dust mite protection from the SLEEP NUMBER® True Silver line of pillow protectors, comforters, sheet sets, blankets and mattress pads
- Adjustable maternity pillows for $39.99
- All-natural Lyocell sheet sets or down comforters
- Velvet-soft blankets starting at $49.99
- Warming layers with adjustable warmth on each side so couples don’t have to compromise and can stay cozy warm during the cooler months
- Nine models of SLEEP NUMBER® beds that are clinically proven to improve sleep quality and have helped 93 percent of clinical study participants report back-pain relief. Since nine out of 10 couples are not comfortable on the same mattress, this makes a great couples gift because each side of the bed adjusts independently; no more compromising with your partner. Sleep Number mattresses start at $699.
•Buy gift cards when in doubt. Most retailers, including Sleep Number stores, offer gift cards, and according to the National Retail Federation’s 2009 Holiday Consumer Intentions and Actions Survey, 55.2 percent of consumers want to receive gift cards/gift certificates this year.
•Add kind gestures to help someone enjoy their new bedding accessories. After you’ve selected a great bedding necessity/new mattress go the extra mile and attach a card to your gift offering to babysit or petsit, vacate the house, massage their feet, answer their phones, etc., for a night of quiet solitude.
We’re curious to hear your thoughts around sleep-related gifts. Do you want to receive/give them?
What other gift giving ideas/tips do you have?